Re: Gnome for Educational Usage

Hello. To the best of my knowledge there is not a group trying to do an
educational version of GNOME. That being said, a lot of the things you
describe can be done already (though maybe not in so easy a fashion). For
instance you can get rid of the ctrl-alt-Fn shells by editing /etc/inittab
(If I remember correctly).  You would also want to patch gnome-core to
remove a lot of the menu entries and initial panel applets etc (maybe there
is a way to do it without recompiling). Ximian GNOME (http://www.ximian.com)
has a nice default layout that is much easier to use than the standard
GNOME. My point here, though, is that there is no central place to do what
you want.

Some of the administration should hopefully get better in GNOME 2.0
including the ability to clamp down on the users ability to change things.
The usability team is also working on providing a nice default desktop that
is much less cluttered and easier to use.

Personally I would love to see GNOME being used in schools. It is beyond me
why KDE users would laugh at you. Perhaps you could write back with more
specifics of what you want to accomplish and the problems that you
anticipate. I think it would be definitely possible to make GNOME usable for
the children especially if it is just a kiosk thing you want.

Regards,
Kevin