Re: Ximian Install dictates?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 08:38:06AM -0400, Hartnett wrote:
> I installed RH 7.2 on a test system and then started the download for
> Ximian. Why the heck would balsa and jpilot be listed as a necessary
> removals to install Ximian?

Depenency issues.  The RedHat packages use a different version of some
libraries than what Ximian offers.  Why newer versions aren't installed,
I don't know.  My RH 7.2 /XG experiences have shown that the depenencies
of both the RH/XG packages and the handling code in the installer/RC
really suck (glad I use Debian at home...) so that might be the reason.

> I must say I feel a bit concerned that Ximian is trying to dictate what
> to and not to use, shades of MS?

Way off base, there.

> Hopefully I am wrong on this and there is a real reason for this to be
> done, none were listed.

Ya, RC/installer also seems to give really dumb error message (libnspr4
can't be installed because it requires libnspr.so.4, said RC, but the
truth was that it was incompatible with my current mozilla, and RC
failed to install the new Mozilla, but if I asked it to do so, it said
it needed libnspr4... not very bright).

> I think that the Ximian install process needs to give detailed reasons
> why something needs to be removed, or better yet, give the user the
> options of what to do at this time. Example, if something "needs" to be
> removed, state why, and an alternative path as to not have to do the
> "necessary" removals, this could be an app that the user wants and
> needs.

First, I think, the code needs to be fixed before better message can be
given.  Or, if the code is right, the packages need some better quality
testing.

> For the most part I like the Ximian desktop. Would prefer them not
> messing with menus as they do, and some other minor things, but that is
> preference. But I currently can think of no reason that an app like
> balsa would need to be removed to install Ximian?

If you don't like the menues, don't install the ximian-menus package.
Personally, the menues are a lot eaiser.  Just taking some time to get
used to them, is all.  ~,^