Re: Looking for ways to speed up Ghome

* Dennis J. Tuchler <dtuchler earthlink net> [011018 22:04]:

> > In fact I'd recommend removing nautilus altogether if
> >this does make a difference.
>
> PMFJI, but I have two questions that should not take long to answer:
>
> 1.  Is there an alternative file management program that takes up less room and does
> as good a job?

Personally, I prefer file management by means of a terminal emulator and
ls(1), cp(1), mv(1), rm(1), find(1) etc. If you insist on having a file manager
program: Gmc has been the default filemanager before Nautilus appeared
on the screen.

> 2. How does one go about removing nautilus?  Is it a matter of removing one or two files
> or is there more to it?

Enter control-center, launch `Session Properties & Startup Programs', enter
`Startup Programs', click `Browse Currently Running Programs' button, select
`nautilus' in `Session Properties' window, check style `Normal', click `Remove'
and save the current session.

Next time Gnome will come up without Nautilus.

Best regards - Juergen.