Re: Looking for ways to speed up Gnome

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 01:33:53PM -0700 or thereabouts, Benjamin FrantzDale wrote:
> > Been a big supporter of this Nautilus development, but have decided
> > that it isn't for some of my older systems.  I had not started the

Some of the very very latest versions are a massive amount faster, but
I know the feeling for older boxes.

> > Nautilus from these systems, when I read that I can make the change
> > in the post-installation wizard, which I can not seem to find.
> > Removing Nautilus isn't that important to me, as saving time with a
> > quick wizard and I'm done thing.  Please where or what is this
> > post-installation wizard?
>
> It's Ximian Doorman. To get it to run again, run doorman-reset, or
> something like that... try doing a locate doorman |grep bin to see what
> the command is. Run that, then log out and back in and you'll get the
> wizard.

If you're not running Ximian, you can still do it.

If the machine is yours and no other users (that you need to worry
about :)) will be affected, just remove the nautilus package.

Failing that:

RH's beta (which presumably stops being beta soon) gives you the
option on an upgrade. Dunno about a fresh install.

Or:

	   control-center
	-> startup programs
	-> browse currently running programs
	-> select nautilus, keeping an eye on the box at the top
	-> note 'normal' becomes 'respawn' when you select it
	-> change it to 'normal' again
	-> select 'remove' (delete, whatever)

Poof! It gone. For that user. If you have multiple systems/accounts,
it's not so hot, of course.

Telsa