Nautilus and Mime Types

I have up-to-the minute Ximian GNOME, Redhat Linux 7.1, and Star Office
Beta 6.0.  Use it eight hours a day, five or six days a week.  Great
stuff.

I have Nautilus as a file manager and desktop manager,  this works pretty
well, except Nautilus goes south occasionally, but no big deal.

For the life of me, however,  I can't figure out where Nautilus reads it
MIME type information from.  I've defined .sdc, .sdd, .sdw, .sxd, etc...
with their related Star Office mime types, icons, and applications. (I did
this in gnomecc).  But nautilus continues to see them as generic files.
This is rather frustrating.

I can drag one of the files to the Star Office launcher icon on a panel,
drop it, and it will open in Star Office.

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS