Re: Can't compile Control Center on Solaris

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:45:59AM -0500, Ken Lierman wrote:

> > I'm on Solaris 8. I don't think one single Gnome component compiled out of
> > the box... I've had to to all kinds of nasty things, like simlinking
> > header files all over, to commenting certain checks out of the configure
> > scripts, changing code... I don't even remember anymore. I should've kept
> > a diary.
> >

> yeah, i started keeping personal readme's in every directory so when i
> go to upgrade a package i know what i hacked in the last one to get it
> to work.
>
> Just because it might help someone, i'll go ahead and list the top
> couple problems i've had compiling gnome on solaris:
>
> 1- NONE of the tools that rely on the image or compression libs (libpng,
> libjpeg, libtiff, libbzip2, etc) find the libs/headers correctly in
> configure.
>     i just symlink all the headers/libs into the src directory, and/or
>     change configure to use #include "header.h" not #include <header.h>
> 2- xml-i18n-* tools all throw errors on a line like:
> 	Error in option spec: "help|h|?"
>     fixed by finding line with "help|h|?" and removing the "|?"
> 3- libtool is wacked in some packages... i just use the one from esound
> 4- some projects run link with -s -f, which doesn't work on solaris...
> this is non-trivial to fix.

This is _good_ _stuff_ to know, because you and Kim are certainly not
the only people to have tried to compile on Solaris and met with ... um
... resistance from the OS. :-)

Now, at least, these ideas are in the archives so that we can point
others at them. At some point (if I or somebody else gets the time), we
may put them into the FAQ as well, since they are becoming more and more
frequently asked.

Ken (and Kim!): if you have any more pointers like this, post them here,
please (or mail them to me -- I can then put pressure on people who
should know more and work out an FAQ-style answer) and we can start a
collection of "building on Solaris" tips.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Kleptomania: take something for it.