Why does Gnome freeze on me?

I have never had any success with Gnome and Sawfish. I have tried it on two computers, Redhat 7.0, 7.1 and Ximian Gnome.

1. Gnome 1.2 and Gnome 1.4 desktop will freeze at the slightest opportunity freeze. E.g. Menus won't work e.g programs refuse to close etc. The only solution I have found is to kill X windows. Can the choice of theme affect performance?

2. CD and MP3 playing just stops for no reason.

Now I have been told that 'buggy' hardware is the cause of problem 2, however, KDE always works fine, stable and no sound problems.

My question is how can I track down what is at fault. Advice would be much appreciated as it would be nice to have a choice of desktop to use.