Re: Gnome or KDE?

Of course on gnome-list you're going to get a Gnome bias, just like on
Slashdot you'll be likely to see a KDE bias.  ;-)

I started out with KDE (2.1 I think), but after a couple months got
rather dissatisfied and decided to try Gnome. I think the apps that come
along with it are superior (i.e. Abiword & Gnumeric vs. KOffice), it
seems to be more responsive than KDE, and while some people love
Konqueror its lack of much W3C DOM support drove me nuts as a Web
developer.

I think Gnome's interface is superior, although it obviously still needs
some work. KDE puts everything, including the kitchen sink, out in front
of you. I found it harder to quickly locate the important items because
everything seemed to be presented at the same level.

A coworker of mine likes to talk about KDE's support of antialiased
text.  I'll be curious to see how well Gnome 2 handles the eye-candy
features like this. KDE's renderings of AA text just seem to look blurry
to me, at least on my LCD screen. But this seems to be one area X in
general has a lot of catching up to do (with reference to the Windows
world), so Gnome 2 may not do any better.

After all that wordiness - I'd agree with the other posters that,
assuming you have the disk space available, you try both and decide for
yourself. GDM launches KDE just as easily as it does Gnome (or
Enlightenment, or IceWM, or ...).

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering