Re: How to make Gnome _forget_ settings on logout?

"Stowell Davison" <Stowell Davison noaa gov> writes:
> In my [inner-city high school math] classroom are 19 student machines, all
> old Pentiums, running gnome under RedHat 6.1. The NFS/NIS server runs RedHat
> 7.1. Lest I have to create a user ID for all 170 students, I set up a
> generic user ID (PC10, PC11, PC12, etc.) for each machine. The idea was to
> customize the settings so the students would only do the activities I tell
> them to do. However, sometimes they ignorantly or deliberately do things
> like starting up games. Though they are told not to log out, sometimes they
> do anyway. The next time I log the machine's generic ID onto the system, the
> game starts up automatically.
>     The "settings - startup programs" accessible from the gnome foot is set
> to not save settings on exit. However, it is saving anyway. Is there a way
> to force gnome NOT to save settings on exit?

In Red Hat releases, at least recent ones, it should not save unless
someone checks the "save settings" box in the logout dialog, which is
unchecked by default. Some gnome.org GNOME releases have auto-saved at
regular intervals. It's possible you are just seeing a bug that may
have been fixed since 6.1.

Havoc