.ICEauthority file problem in xwindows

Dear Gnome people,

I have a problem firing up xwindows..........

I had a hardware problem with a extra disk I installed on my PC (Cyrix 333
MHz 686; Red Hat Linux 7.1) and so it had to be removed.  It was not the
disk that the OS was installed on, I added it for extra file space and
various applications............

After some farting around and commenting out the entry in fstab for the
failed disk I managed to get Linux going again.

But for some reason xwindows doesn't work.  It fires up a little bit and
gives me the cross and grey dotted screen but doesn't make it to the blue
stuff and the windows and gnome bit.

I tried "upgrading" the OS from the install CD to the 7.1 again to see if
this might fix the xwindow problem. It did not.

The last thing the screen has on it before konking out was

/home/mikef/.ICEauthority

unable to lock ICE authority file

waiting for X server to shutdown

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??

All the best

Michael Fothergill