How to make Gnome _forget_ settings on logout?

In my [inner-city high school math] classroom are 19 student machines, all
old Pentiums, running gnome under RedHat 6.1. The NFS/NIS server runs RedHat
7.1. Lest I have to create a user ID for all 170 students, I set up a
generic user ID (PC10, PC11, PC12, etc.) for each machine. The idea was to
customize the settings so the students would only do the activities I tell
them to do. However, sometimes they ignorantly or deliberately do things
like starting up games. Though they are told not to log out, sometimes they
do anyway. The next time I log the machine's generic ID onto the system, the
game starts up automatically.
    The "settings - startup programs" accessible from the gnome foot is set
to not save settings on exit. However, it is saving anyway. Is there a way
to force gnome NOT to save settings on exit?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice instruction com