Some newbie advice needed

I run Mandrake, and I can find my way around in Linux. But... When I try
to do some upgrading, I always manage to break something I cant fix. I
use Gnome (the one that ships with Mandrake, standard Gnome 1.4), and I
have a few questions concerning updating various parts of Gnome and
Gnome apps.

Can I install Red Carpet on my Gnome, without installing Ximian Gnome?

Can use Red Carpet to upgrade my Gnome, and is it safe?

If I can do none of the above, what would you guys recommend to keep my
apps. updated?
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Søren Neigaard
Registered Linux User #239437