creating a menu/sub menu in the panel

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a Applications/Utilities/Internet menus right on
the panel, so I don't need to go through the main menu all the time.

I've read the panel manual, and it says

"You can also add the Main Menu or any its submenu as a new menu to the
Panel by right-clicking on the menu title (the top line of the menu,
separated from menu items by a thin line) and selecting Add this as a
menu to the panel."

however, I can't seem to right click on the menu at all, since it just
expands onto its menu items.

Is the documentation off, or am I missing something?

Thanks
Yev