Re: ymessenger gtk font issues

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 10:23:24PM +0000 or thereabouts, Jim George wrote:
> I've recently installed SuSE 7.1 with the base versions of GNOME and KDE
> for my wife.
> She wanted ymessenger installed which I duely did, however whenever I
> invoke it I get a segfault complaing of a NULL font in a gtk package.
> Can someone give me an indication as to how to proceed to get this
> working?

I don't know ymessenger, but google does. Some kind of interface to
yahoo messenger? I can only find rpms for RH and packages for
NetBSD. Nothing for SuSE.

I suppose the first question might be "how did you install it?"
But a wild guess is that ymessenger is saying "I want this font",
gtk can't find it, tells ymessenger "I can't find it", and
ymessenger goes "um. errr. okay.. [splat]".

If the fault is with ymessenger, this will be hard to debug.
If it's gtk's fault, then I would have thought bug-buddy would
have popped up and hassled you already, and walked you through
a bug report.

I don't know whether this will help, because I don't use IM.
But there is a project called jabber, which knows how to talk
a lot of different IM protocols (or whatever the word is.
transports?). It does list yahoo messenger on its website.
There are lots of jabber clients. The gnome one is called
gabber.

So if ymessenger won't play, you could look at that.

Telsa