gdm-2.2.2 login fails

I'm unable to log in to my Red Hat 7.1 system most of the time after
upgrading to gdm 2.2.2 - built from CVS source, then installed via rpm.
The X server will be terminated, then restarted with a new login window
after the login name and password are entered. ~/.xsession-errors
contains

     localhost being added to access control list
     _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
     SESSION_MANAGER=local/indonesia:/tmp/.ICE-unix/23650
     subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate
     ioctl for device

but I don't know if this comes from the failed session or a previous
successful one.

The only way I'm able to log in, is by selecting a different session
from the one used last. In other words, the problem occurs if Session
menu setting is "Last" or if I select the one used on the previous login
by hand. This could mean that what saves the day, is the dialogue that
is popped up on that event ("Session is different from the last...")

Has anyone else seen this? What could be wrong?

- Toralf