Re: Making a "world wide" configuration?

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:47:32AM +0200 or thereabouts, Thierry Dumont wrote:
> I explain my problem: we have about 150 users on our server. I want
> to make them all switch to gnome (as kde 2 is terrific!).
>
> I want to be able to fix a starting configuration for every user:
>  for example: using sawfish, using a predefined theme and colours
>  (we use x-terminals...).
>
> How to do this? the first idea is to copy all my .gnome* directories
> and the .sawfish directory to each user; but this is not good, as many
> files contain references to my home directory, or to my own mail
> directory. Ok, I can make a script to change this, but this not a very
> nice task!
> Any idea?

This will depend on what version of Gnome you're trying to switch to,
I suspect. At least, a year or two ago, I was told "gconf will make
this easier". And gconf is now here.

In the meantime,

GNOME Administrators Guide:
http://www.darboux.uklinux.net/gnome/

gnome-config documentation:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libgnome/gnome-gnome-config.html
(scroll down for the files about system defaults and overrides)

Please note, these worked a while ago. I have -no- idea whether
they work now. I don't know whether gconf touches any of this
currently; nor whether it will in the future. If I am giving
out-of-date information, I hope someone steps in to tell me.

Telsa