Problems with gmc on solaris 8

Hello,
i am new on this list and i need some help. I downloaded the ximian
gnome 1.4 distribution for solaris on sparc. Now i have a problem on
running gmc as a "normal" user. As soon as i try to start the
file-manager, my desktop icons are gray and the desktop hangs.
Quiting gnome (and saving the desktop) has the effect that no icons
at all are on the desktop. Starting gmc from a shell shows again
gray icons but again the desktop hangs.

As user root a have no such problems. Can anybody on this list help
me?

My system is a blade 100 with 256mb ram, solaris 8 (10 00).

Greetings,
Frank

--
"Ressistance ist futile. Open your sourcecode and prepare for assimilation"
- Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]