What happened with the control-center 1.3.1 design?

I upgraded Control-Center 1.3.1 to Control-Center 1.4.0 on my
slackware-box, but I'm disappointed to see the old 1.2-design again in
stead of the one with one window with big icons and the capplets in
separate windows (more like the configurationpanel in MS Windows). In my
opinion that was a way better implementation, especcially for small
screens or to call capplets from outside the control-panel, ie setting
the background with rightclicking on the desktop. For every small change
you'll get the whole panel now in stead of only the wanted capplet....

I didn't find an option (in ./configure or in gnomecc --help) to get the
other implementation back. Does anyone know why this is and if it's
coming back in a post-1.4 release?

Bart