problems with png

Hi,

I'm trying to make a compiled version of gnome 1.2, but I have problems with the display of png files. Here is a short description (without most of out of subject libs and ldconfig after each comp.) of what I've done :
Compiled and installed libpng1.0.9 (I've tried with version 1.0.5 and 1.0.8 also)
Compiled and installed glib-1.2.8
Compiled and installed gtk+-1.2.8
Compiled and installed imlib 1.9.8.1 (with gmodulized imlib)
Compiled and installed gnome-libs 1.2.13
Compiled and installed gnome-common 1.2.1
Compiled and installed gdk_pixbuf 0.10.1
Compiled and installed gnome-control-center 1.2.2
Compiled and installed gnome-core-1.2.4
+applets, network, gmc 4.5.52, sawfish, etc...

When I try to start a gnome-session (or gnome-terminal from fvwm), I got a message like that : error in loading shared libraries: /usr/local/gnome/lib/libimlib-png.so: undefined symbol: png_create_read_struct

I then try to compile gnome-libs with --disable-imlibtest and gnome-session was launching, I had icons on the desktop, but not on the panel (only text).

I'm using debian 2.2, what am I doing wrong ??

Thx in advance for help,
Cédric.