Re: GNOME Weirdness

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 09:54:45PM -0500 or thereabouts, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> All apps built for GNOME (Balsa, panel, gnome-terminal, gtcd, etc.) take a
> very long time to load after I logged in just a while agao (the login took
> a while too, what with the panel and capplets loading and stuff).
> Non-GNOME apps, like Mozilla and XMMS are just as snappy as ever, though.

One situation I've seen all GNOME apps start crawling from startx on
is when the networking is broken on my laptop (like, typos in
/etc/hosts or the PCMCIA card being in but the ethernet cable being
improperly connected). Or not broken, but correct, but GNOME simply
not knowing the difference between laptop with card in but no network
present and either laptop with no card in or laptop with card in and
network up and happy. And the immortal occasion when I used 'pump'
(dhcp tool) on someone else's network, came home, forgot about it, and
then GNOME whinged because I still had an IP and name server from
somewhere in Australia :)

I thought it was the network cable and was shaking it madly.

> I think the problem is in my upgrades to gconf, oaf, and/or bonobo, which I

...if it started after upgrading those, sounds likely. I dunno whether
the above paragraph helps at all, though? Oh well, it might be useful
for someone searching in archives.

Telsa