Two newbie questions

(1) GNOME does not remember my desktops correctly,
eg windows on one desktop are often transferred --
on logging out and in again --
to another desktop.

(2) I cannot cut-and-paste from one window to another,
though I can always cut-and-paste to Netscape>File>Open page .

I'm running the GNOME that came with RedHat-7.0 .
The problems seem to arise equally with Enlightenment and Sawfish.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim maths tcd ie