Re: Evolution & movemail

На Пнд, 19 Мар 2001 03:20:58 Jeffrey Stedfast написал:
> On 18 Mar 2001 22:58:56 +0300, Dmitry G . Mastrukov wrote:
> > Hi All!
> >
> > Is Evolution able to deal with existing mboxes without moving
> mail?
>
> Sure, you have a couple of choices (some better than others):
>
> 1. add yourself to the mail group
> 2. chmod 1777 /var/spool/mail
Strange, I'm always member of mail group and have 1777 on
/var/spool/mail

> 3. setuid evolution* (not recommended AT ALL)
Fully agree with "not recommended"

> 4. configure procmail to copy mail to a location specifically meant
> for
> Evo to import it
So I'll have to dup my messages?

> > First, I have procmail and it delivers my mail to some mboxes
> > (gnome-list for example). Second, I simply want to use not only
> Evo
> > but balsa, pine or mutt with my inbox. With movemail Evo is pretty
> > useless for me :(
>
> I don't see why you couldn't do #4 above.
Because it's some more work, some more tuning? some more disk space.
Balsa do it without tricks att all.

> > IMHO movemail is wrong way. UNIX way is the ability to do work by
> some
> > differnt ways.
>
> Why is movemail wrong? movemail is ONE of the "different" ways you
> imply
> in your second sentence. I gave you 4 other ways you could do it and
> I'm
> sure there are others. Yea, some of them are not very good security
> wise
> but they are still options.
All proposed by you methods are SYSTEM methods. Is Evo itself able to
deal with existing mboxes (in camel part not to use camel_movemail()
)? Why I should make 'magic passes' when other programs don't require
them?

> > PS. What is about IMAP and movemail. I fear to let Evolution to
> > process my IMAP localnet folder.
>
> Evolution handles IMAP fine...

I'm not doubt about it, Evolution works fine and with mboxes but only
purges them after itself ;)
I've liked Evo look and feel but until it uses camel_movemail() by
default (more clear without alternative) I don't want to use it.

Dmitry