A few general questions

I've started using gnome 1.2 recently and am starting to collect
a few questions for which I can find no answers in the
documentation, so I'll just shoot away in case anyone can help.

Is there any way to disable/turn off/whatever the automatic
underlining and 'activation' (for lack of a better word) of URLs
in gnome-terminal when the mouse pointer passes over them? This
can be very distracting.

When adding launchers and/or drawers to the panel, is there a
way to prevent the icon from being scaled up in size? This is a
real problem with a launcher as they become HUGE and very nasty
looking due to the bitmap scaling. I use a 17" monitor at
1024x768 and any icon over about 1/4" square is too big for me.
There's a pretty good collection of 16x16 icons, but once they
get scaled up, they're UGLY. Even the 32x32 icons are left
alone. I guess they're scaled to 48x48 (for what reason?)...

Related to the previous question, an even better solution would
be NOT to use an icon at all, not even the resulting default
icon. Text would be best. I'd love to have every icon replaced
by a text-labeled button, but I doubt there's any way to do
that. Any ideas?

Is there any way to get around the split personality of the
panel menu: primarily owned by root, with only pieces here and
there by the current user. I'd like to configure it so the
current user can control _all_ the contents of the menu (as much
as possible). Obviously he won't be able to run things to which
he has no access, but control over the menu would be good.

And while I'm at it...  :)

This may be more appropriate in a Balsa forum; let me know if
so. Why won't it (Balsa 1.1.1) even try to check for incoming
mail on a remote POP3 server? I'm at home with a cable modem and
no local mail, just internet. I can't get the POP3 mailbox to
show up in the list and it steadfastly refuses to retrieve any
mail from it, even when I _know_ there's mail there. No errors,
just nothing. I have no other mailboxes defined at all. Any
ideas?

Thanks for any help.

--

 -- Len Philpot -> len philpot org     (personal) <--
 ----------------> len philpot cleco com   (work) <--