Re: Gnome and OSS/Free

In <993474539 14045 2 camel ben cs hmc edu>, on 06/25/01
   at 09:08 AM, Ben FrantzDale <bfrantzdale hmc edu> said:

>On 25 Jun 2001 07:27:59 -0400, fheitka attglobal net wrote:
>> Does gnome work at all with OSS/Free?

>I'm not sure what you mean... Do you mean Open Source and Free Software?
>(If that's what you meant, I'm not sure how to answer that...)

What I meant is whether gnome works with open sound system (OSS) the free
version; not the 4-front technology version.  Its called OSS/Free on some
web sites.  It is the sound system that comes with the kernel sources.
The 4-front is a version you can pay for that works with many UNIXes and
sound cards.  I used that with my old sound card.

AFAICT gnome is more gearted towards working with the
Advance Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA).  I got my new
sound card working with OSS/Free so I thought I just use that. ALSA seems
to kind of infect the system like a virus (to me) so I don't want to use
it really.

Fred