Re: This sucks

On Monday, July 16, 2001 14:51:29 -0400, "William F. Maton" <wmaton ryouko dgim crc ca> wrote:
+-----
| On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Matthias Warkus wrote:
| > Noah Roberts e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
| > > Third, something that would make life a lot easier for most of
| > > us.......everything that is REQUIRED to run gnome should be in a
| > > single package.
| >
| > Do you realise how big that package would be?
|
| I'd rather have a list instead.  I recall there was something like a
| dependencies HOWTO for GNOME on Solaris.  I don't know if it still exists.
+--->8

I'd like to see something similar to how the FreeBSD ports collection does it: "cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome; make install clean" installs base GNOME and I can go in and build additional parts as I need/want them. Then use portupgrade to upgrade things with all dependencies handled for me.

This could actually be done in a reasonably portable manner because of the relatively limited scope, assuming everything including prerequisites can be configured with either autoconf or xmkmf. A port makefile for a package would only need to know the package's dependencies and where to get the package it wants to build; then run configure or xmkmf depending on existence of configure or Imakefile in the unpacked package, then run make in the package directory. (Well, assuming xmkmf works correctly, which tends to be false on Solaris 7 and earlier.) Unfortunately, portupgrade would be a bit more complicated, but I think something sane could be done there as well.

(There's a slight possibility that I'll look into doing this; it's not a perfect fit for ECE's build system, but then neither is GNOME itself --- and if set up right it might well be possible to make a generic framework which would also do something mostly sane for our environment.)

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery kf8nh apk net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery ece cmu edu