Re: I don't play games often, but...

Paul E Johnson wrote:

My 9 year old daughter said "none of your games work anymore". Checking, I found games from the foot menu don't work on any RedHat
systems anymore.  I noticed in gnome-ximian that the games are moved
into /usr/games, which is not in the path, and so the foot menu items
don't point at the right place.

Can somebody give me a heads up on why games would be moved off the path
like that and what should be done about?  I realize I can either change
the path or fix all those commands, but it just seems surprising to me
that I've not heard more whining about it recently in here, so I figure
I've missed something.

Paul,

I had this issue, too, and I found out that it's a Ximian issue (not a Gnome one). I posted a bug to Ximian's bugzilla, and got it answered within a minute (long live Ximian!). They think that /usr/games (or, for example for SuSE, /opt/gnome/games) should be in the search path. If you use gdm, you have to add it in gdm.conf; a bug report for gdm is already filed.

Funny thing btw - in my case it was not my daughter who found out, it was my wife :-)

Thanks,
--
Reinhard Mueller
GNU Enterprise project