Re: Making Menus "Mac-like"

+++ Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 06:06:22PM +0200 +++
Simon Eilting e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.

> tachysx yahoo com wrote:
>
> > I would like to have the application menus on top of
> > the screen instead on inside the window.
>
> If you really really need this, you could switch to KDE/KWM, I believe
> it does this since quite some time.

You've got a point, yet, from people who are really acquainted with
the MacOS interface, I've heard that the way KDE does it does not
really make sense. I've used the top menu bar thingy a couple of times
when there was still enough space on my hard drive for me to keep a
KDE tree around, but that's long ago.

The reason the Mac menu is in the top bar is that, this way, you can
run the pointer into the edge of the screen, i.e. on the uppermost
pixels or directly into the corner. I have been told those are not
clickable in KDE, which invalidates the Mac bar concept. (However, if
this deficiency existed, I'm pretty sure it has been fixed in the
latest release of KDE. Those guys are pretty sharp.) Other problems:
the Mac bar only makes sense when you're using click-to-focus,
otherwise you've got to serpentine around other windows so you can
reach the actual menus you want; and it only makes sense if every
application uses it.

If you are of a different opinion and you think that the gain of
screen real estate in your application window is worth the respective
loss of real estate all along the top edge of your screen, KDE is
absolutely OK for you. But maybe you'd like to hack some support for
the Mac bar into GNOME (getting it right, of course)?

mawa
--
Est-on sot, étourdi, prend-on mal ses mesures;
On pense en être quitte en accusant son sort :