PLEASE HELP: Screen Resolution & modem

Hi there
I have a bit of a problem and I was hoping someone would be able to help me
I am using Red Hat 7.0 and I am quite happy at the moment with the program,
it seems quite stable and very intuitive.  I must say it is much easier to
use than Windoze, any version.

I do have a bit of a problem however.  I am unable to find out how to adjust
the screen resolution and even when I do all that happens is that the
virtual screen size increases and the size of the icons, text, etc stays the
same, all I can do is scroll across virtual screens.
Please help me as I love this program and I do not want to get frustrated
with it and have to uninstall it.

My other problem is connecting to the Internet.
whenever I try to connect, the software dials the modem, the modem connects
to my ISP but then it immediately cuts the connection.  I believe this to be
a problem at my end because when running under Windoze I can connect to the
Internet flawlessly.

thank you very much for you much appreciated time and effort in helping me.

Nicholas Zachary