Changing Font size

I've just gotten back to using Linux after an absence of a couple of years.
I'm amazed at the changes in that time, so for all practical purposes, I'm
relearning the systems.

I have a question.  How can I change the font size?  I have a 19" monitor.
The only working resolution that seems to work is 1280X1024 with 24-bit
color.  The colors and appearance is outstanding---except for one little
thing.  The fonts on the panel and application, and  menus is microscopic.
I've tried everything I can think of and cannot increase the font size
except for Netscape and Xterm.

Could someone point me to a method to increase the font size?

Thanks,

Mike Watson