gnome-libs;metadata.c;dbopen

I am running Slackware7.1/gnome1.2.  Gnome was installed with slackware
tgz packages.  When I try to compile icewm1.0.6 it complains that
libgnome.so cannot ref dbopen.  dbopen seems to exist only in libdb.a.
I tried to download and compile gnome-libs-1.2.1 but it complains about
dbopen in metadata.c.  According to what I see on google libdb uses
different names for open function: v1=dbopen;   v2=db_open;
v3=db_create.  Surely, this problem with libdb and gnome-libs has been
addressed.  Thanks ahead for any help.