.gnomerc-errors: sh: gnome-login-check: command not found

I apologize in advance if this error is easily cured by RTFM. I have
about 3 hours of experience with gnome, but here it is.  The basic
setup is SuSE 6.4, but with kernel 2.4.0 with the standard Helix
distribution (Ximian) 1.2 of gnome.

I can log in as root on the console (running gdm), but attempting to
log in as a mortal user gives messages like this in the ~/.gnomerc
file and the session hangs until I kill the process. (If it makes any
difference, my user directory is coming in over NFS and authentication
is via NIS.)

Any suggestions as to what I might be wrong?

TIA.

sh: gnome-login-check: command not found
SESSION_MANAGER=local/sharon:/tmp/.ICE-unix/2265
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1