shutdown & Gnome

    I am using GNOME 1.2 on a Slackware distribution. I start on run
level
4, using gdm as my display manager and Enlightenment as my windows
manager.

    Now when I logout of a Gnome session the logout popup window doesn't

offer me the possibility to do a reboot/halt, even when I give my
username
permission to execute the shutdown utility by hand.

    Even worse, if I login to gdm as root, when logging out I still am
not
offered the reboot/halt possibilities.

    Anyone know how I can coax GNOME into offering me the reboot/halt
options with the logout menu? I am not running PAM, or any other
sophisticated authentication layer.