gimp 1.2 and scanning

Hi there,

I just compiled gimp-1.2 without any problems. To scan images directly from
a scanner into gimp I did for gimp-1.1 a simple sym-link like in
/usr/lib/gimp/1.1/plug-ins

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/xscanimage xscanimage

as described in th ehelp files of SuSE and it worked fine. But now the same
sym-ling in /usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins results in problems when starting
gimp. It stops during loading the plug-ins when it loads
/usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/fits.

Any idea how to access the scanner from within gimp?

Regards,
Klaus