Re: Rere: i was compiling my kernels for 4 days

At 2:18 -0500 3/01/01, Brett Castleberry wrote:
>On 2001.01.02 05:21:38 -0500 Etienne de Bary wrote:
>
>>	My problem is that most of the packages names are chinese
>> to me : true unix newbie, i don't know what is useless in this avalanche
>> of software...
>
>Lord have mercy, Etienne.  If you are a "true Unix newbie", you might want
>to just reinstall, (I would).  The kernel that comes with your distro is
>really fine for most users.

Well, yes, sure... that's how i ended up with a full disk actually,
since i had these "can't find this can't find that" at boot i was always coming
back to the install windows.
particularly i could never get a module sound working, and it really seemed
to be the solution if i trust several member of these lists.
Also this is not BSD is it ? It was just one instruction.

My aim is to do artistic stuff (but some i will keep using MacOS)
html code, i want to mix music too,
i'm buying a big Pentium at the moment, and will renew my Mac
hardware shortly too. So it should be art oriented workstation,
just able to communicate together, i'll keep sending my html pages
to "pro" servers for permanent connection ans DNS service.

> >Etienne de Bary wrote:
> >        i was compiling my kernels, for 4 days...
> >        then i had a message "unexpected trap"
> >offering to reboot or halt. i choose halt.
> >         then to quit i had to remove gmc,
> >i had this "no response from the save yourself command"
> >message coming back
> >         When i reboot i have no desktop anymore.

my system is : Distribution: Red Hat Linux, gnome desktop
Distribution Version:          Linux/PPC 2000 Edition Francaise
Operating System Version:      #1 Thu May 27 15:33:50 CDT 1999
Operating System Release:      2.2.6-15apmac
Processor Type:                ppc

	on a PPC 604 Powercomputing hardware

	thanxx to all

--
	Etienne de Bary

"Velodrome, une cyberkunsthalle parisienne" presente
une nouvelle generation d'artistes parisiens.
Des interventions de Nadine de Koenigswarter, Yuki Onodera,
Gerda Schutte, Etienne de Bary, Pierre Estable, Pierre Filippi,
Leopold Koukissa, Aki Lumi, Leonard Rachita et Bruno Richard :
http://www.velodrome-cyberkunsthalle.org/
"Velodrome, a parisian cyberkunsthalle" in english idiom :
http://www.velodrome-cyberkunsthalle.org/indexva.html

book d'artiste http://book.debary.nom.fr/
in english http://book.debary.nom.fr/indexva.html

book communication http://communication.debary.nom.fr/