RE: rookie

I'm a little confused by this. Is the end result that you
want to edit a file with gvim? I'm not sure what the command
co does. I think that you proably don't need the gnome
terminal. Launcing a terminal and executing a command in the
terminal is a tad tricky (translation I can't remember how to
do it off the top of my head). However running arbitrary command
with a menu selection is easy. I would use gmenu to create your
menu item and in the command line put
co -l $FULL_PATH/some_file; gvim $FULL_PATH/some_file