Re: Red carpet problem (debian woody)

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 09:45:45PM +0100, Johan Vervloet wrote:
> I've installed red carpet 0.9 on my Debian woody system.  When I start
> the program as root, I get this message :
>
> Red Carpet has encountered an error while trying to process your
> request:
>
> Unable to access packaging subsystem:
> Couldn't parse /var/lib/dpkg/status: The /var/lib/dpkg/status file is
> malformed or contains errors

This means there's an error either in your status file, or in the RC
code which parses that file.  Try running 'apt-get -f install', and
see if it attempts to fix anything.  If it doesn't, I'd love to get a
bug report on this, preferably with a copy of your status file (if
that's ok with you) to help me track down the error in my parser.  Bug
reports are submitted at bugzilla.ximian.com.

> When I try to open the Preferences dialog box, it crashes, and this
> appears on the stderr :
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GnomeDialog'
>
> GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-dialog.c: line 801
> (gnome_dialog_close_hides): assertion `dialog != NULL' failed.
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GnomeDialog'
>
> GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-dialog.c: line 382
> (gnome_dialog_set_parent): assertion `dialog != NULL' failed.
>
> Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1424 (gtk_widget_show):
> assertion `widget != NULL' failed.

Eeek.  Looks like the dialog isn't being created correctly by the
glade, or something...  If you start it up as an ordinary user, can
you go to the preferences dialog ok?

BTW can you subscribe to the RC mailing list?