Re: Is enlightenment dead?

>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:17:08 +0000

>On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:51:48PM -0700 or thereabouts, Glenn Valenta wrote:
>> Has enlightenment development been redirected or stopped?

>Plenty of people still use e with Gnome, though :)

Yeah, 0.16.5 was release a while ago as a bugfix, but 0.17 is now in full
development, mostly in the underpinnings at the moment.  Imlib2 is brilliant, as
is Evas.  This has all been mentioned recently on slashdot among others, but the
most recent news is currently at http://www.us.rasterman.com/e17.html .

And yes, E0.17 includes a file manager as a core part of the window manager.
It's not reproducing stuff in gnome, it's becoming a shell in it's own right.
That's like saying Gnome is reproducing stuff in KDE, it's irrelevant what
another project is doing.  That Enlightenment was chosen as the original WM for
Gnome was as much because it was already there as anything else.  E predates
Gnome by quite a way, and many of us only started playing with Gnome because E
supported it, not the other way around ;O)

Enlightenment will still support the running of Gnome apps, just as it does with
CDE, KDE and any other X app.  But since sawfish came out, E doesn't have to
worry too much about being used solely as part of Gnome, and will continue to
grow on its own again.

Personally I've found the file manager in E far more intuitive to use than gmc
ever was, and it looks better than what I've seen of the Nautilus work so far.
But then that's because I prefer the command line to the Windows look-and-feel
for real work, and I can type into EFM to get stuff done.  It's a horses-for-
courses thing, and personal taste is just that - personal =O}

Ta,

---------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful---------
o o                                          mailto:Moredhel earthling net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.    http://Moredhel.i.am    mailto:Mark Bowyer UK Sun COM
`-'  "Micro$oft have performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"