Re: create launcher on control panel that runs app as root Q2: Keyboard shortcuts

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 08:42:14AM -0800 or thereabouts, James Hamilton wrote:
> >Can you create a launcher on the control panel that launches apps as root.
> >at least asks for root password?

Some distributions do this by default. Red Hat asks for the root
password when you launch some apps as a plain user, for example.

Others don't do this. (Ximian, I think?)

> I use sudo to do this.  There may be better ways, or a GUI configurer for
> sudo or something.  I don't know.  If so, I am sure someone will mention
> it.  Otherwise, install sudo for your dist, man sudo and man sudo.conf.
> Set up your sudo.conf file, and create launchers like
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's cheating. You're missing the hardest part of setting up
sudo: the wretched config file. The man page is very detailed, but
how to let one (or more) user(s) have access to all root stuff is
cunningly hidden in there and it's easy to miss in among all the
more sophisticated setups.

I just have:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
# For user foo to be able to do everything but must give their password
# first:
foo ALL=ALL

That is somewhat sweeping, but it works for this machine.

Telsa