re: PTY problem when running Gnome terminal as normal user

On 2001.12.17 17:01 Simon Liu wrote:

> Message: 3
> From: "Simon Liu" <simonliu149 hotmail com>
> To: gnome-list gnome org
> Subject: PTY problem when running Gnome terminal as normal user
> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 14:58:06 +1100
>
> Hi,
>
> Ive got a problem with the Gnome terminal when I try to start it as a
> normal
> user (non-root) under Gnome 1.4.0.4. When I start it, it gives me the
> error:
>
> "There has been an error while trying to login."
>
> It goes on to say that it might be a PTY98 problem if I was using Linux
> kernel version 2.2.x with glibc 2.1.x. The trouble was I was using Linux
> kernel
> 2.4.7-10custom i686 128MB memory with glibc 2.2.x and 64 PTY98's built
> into
> kernel.
>
> Any suggestions on correcting this matter would be appreciated.
>
> Simon Liu

I have the exact same problem, using kernel2.4.10 gnome-core1.4.0.2
glibc2.2.4,

Never fixed it, so I avoid it by using xterm instead of gnome-terminal.
This enabled me to start gnome-terminal from the xterm & I
got................

peb:~$ gnome-terminal &
[1] 242
peb:~$
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Error: unable to fork: Success

[1]+  Done                    gnome-terminal

I dont think the "Gdk-WARNING" is the reason - I get it when I successfully
start gnome-terminal as root
But I don't know why I am unable to fork

Anyone suggest where I should start looking ?

Peter Bunney