Re: Gnome locks frequently

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 19:49, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:
>> 	I can't do anything but to hit the reset button on the power.  ctrl+alt+bksp
>> is of no use.  Nothing is.  I can't get to a virtual terminal to kill the
>> process and I can't use the mouse.  I can't make it repeat on cue.

> This last bit is what makes me think its the same problem I have, so
> i'll explain.

> randomly when comming back from a virtual terminal, my X session will
> die (have not seen it happen when not logged in, but then I seldom
> swithc wehn not logged in)

This sounds very much like a X driver bug. I've run into a (known) such
bug with the savage driver on a couple of my home boxes. Changing modes
(textmode to graphics mode, or back) confuses the driver, seeming to
hang the graphics card. This sort of thing also happens with a few other
drivers, and it can happen when probing for supported modes (the Ximian
Setup Tools display tool, for instance, can hang my box because of
this).

I can't say much about the original problem, if it happens without
provocation, but hangs on changing modes and related X operations are
almost always X bugs, and should be reported to the XFree86 people.

--
 Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Engineer - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate hacker