compile failure

I need a hand about compiling from source.  I'm running RH 7.1 with
Ximian Gnome.

I grabbed the game gsokoban, a Gnome Sokoban clone.  I did the
./configure, make, make install thing.  When attempting to run it
though, I got a bunch of errors at startup mostly implying that I had
probably configured it wrong.  This is quite likely because I didn't
understand what the README had told me to do.

The instructions say to run ./configure with the PREFIX switch like
this:  --prefix=/path/to/gnome.  I had omitted this switch hoping that
the defaults would work.  Evidently they don't.  What I don't understand
is what is a /path/to/gnome?  Slocate tells me I've got gnome all over
the place.  Which path would I use?

This is the second time I've seen an app suggest the PREFIX switch when
configuring and I guess I don't understand it.  I could use some
enlightenment.  Thanks!