Re: tyro's trouble with terms

On Thu, 2001-12-06 at 17:08, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> What is the difference between Sawfish and Gnome?  I understand you need the former
> to run the latter.  Can you run the former alone?  Is there any particular advantage to
> doing that?

Sawfish is a window manager - all it does is draw the window borders,
management windows placement/movement, and stuff like that.  GNOME is a
full out desktop and programming interface.  You do not need one for the
other - GNOME functions very well without Sawfish (although you need
some window manager), and Sawfish can run rather nicely without GNOME.

To see this, go into the control center in GNOME, and pick
desktop->window manager, and pick a different window manager (you will
need a GNOME-aware WM) to see GNOME wihout Sawfish.  Likewise, startup a
failsafe (as some distros call it) X session, and in the terminal it
will give you, type sawfish to see Sawfish without GNOME.

Sean Etc.