RE: Slow user fast root. Woody

>If I was a really skilled Gnome hacker I would take this on as my #1
>priority, but alas I am a wee neophyte.
>BTW: I've noticed that killing OAF (via oaf-slay) will speed up the
>starting of oaf apps like Evolution, but then if you close evo and start
>it up again it will be back to slow startupagain.

I have Redhat 7.1 + Ximian and can vouch for the same behaviour (whacking
oaf speeds Gnome, especially evolution).  it also seems that,  at least on
my box,  oaf remains running after the user logs out.  If I know no one is
arround I wander over to the console (an ASCII terminal, the users have
LTSP machines) and kill all the oaf processes.

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS