Totally uncalled-for as well as off-topic (Was: how to unsubscribe)

Please stop the bitching. It's completely off-topic and getting
most unpleasant to read.

Reformatting into a more sane format:

[attribution lost]

Stephen Villano wrote:
> That response reminded me of the proverb: "Better to remain silent
> and be thought the fool than to speak and remove all doubt".
>
> Perhaps we should start a new project, a revival of an old military
> joke form: Form ID10T. Anyone want to help draft the form?

This list, gnome-list, is supposed to be a helpful forum. It is
_usually_ a friendly forum. We get "unsubscribe me" posts once in
a while. Most lists do. Had I known that my initial response would
have generated all this (it was the one which got the followup which
led to what I've quoted), I would never have sent it.

We cannot all know everything. There is not time in the world to
know it all.

Do the people who would like "id10t" forms know these, off-hand,
_without_ checking and _without_ asking someone else?

* the medicines and drugs in your house and those of friends and
family, their safe dosages, their contra-indications, whether
they should be taken before/after/with/without food, and whether
going out in the sunlight will hurt you on those drugs?

* the location of the stopcock, the fuse box, the spare fuses,
the main trip switch, the gas cock and the access cover to the
drains, and what to do when something goes wrong with each of
those services?

* the required tyre pressure, the oil level, the water, and
the state of the spare wheel in the car, how to check them
and how to fix them?

* how to deal with a sprain, a burn, a stroke, a heart attack,
a baby turning blue and someone starting to have breathing
trouble after a bee-sting?

What, you don't know all of those, and you complain because
some people have trouble with computers? It's as well that
if you fall in the street, the normal human reaction is help,
and not to berate you for never having taken a first aid
course.

I note than _none_ of the people in this thread know how to
edit the footer message out of their post and are thus in
no position to prate on the etiquette of email to mailing lists.

Please, can we end this thread? Feel free to flame me, but
_off-list_.

Telsa, most heartily sorry for her original post.