Re: Suggestion Rant

On 15 Aug 2001 11:45:08 -0700, Loban Amaan Rahman wrote:
> > I already noticed the evolution-crew being in steady
> > "imitate-the-features-and-look" race concerning the wind-blows...
>
> I _HATE_ people who do the "geez when will people stop copying a windows
> interface in this application" and then provide absolutely _NO_
> suggestions for an alternative/improvement.
>
> To all those of you who keep doing this: If you had read the Sun
> Usability Report, you'd understand that a large percentage of the
> usability problems people were having with Gnome was due to inconsitency
> with Windows interfaces and other Linux applications.
Suprise! The only OS the most people know is Windows. So it seems to
quite clear that this is the most 'usable' OS.

> In order to appeal to more users, it make _sense_ to have a similar
> interface to an equivalent Windows program, especially when there isn't
> anything (or much) wrong with the Windows interface. If there is
> something GLARINGLY BAD about the Windows interface, then by all means
> change it. But I have yet to find one of those people come up with any
> alternative suggestion yet.
I have done this several times but no one is listening :-((.

http://rox.sourceforge.net/
This is a 'clone' of RiscOS for the Arcorn Machines, which are quite
famous in the Uk (mostly education). The interesting point is not the
taskbar on the bottom (it was introduced years befor Windows taskbar in
95) but the consequent handling of 'drag&drop' between and applications
(Gnome, KDE and Windows are using drag&drop just between the filer and
some applications or filer and desktop but NEVER between applications).

So if you like have a look at the link above to see what is possible,
and maybe the explanations given there what ROX is are better then mine.

> I have a suggestion. For every diss about an interface, please, PLEASE
> suggest an alternative/improvement. That way we can all benefit.
Right, but we have to listen and have to try 'new' things. and not like
some computermags to complain about the usability of other OS's where
the button for closing windows is not in the top-right-corner but in
top-left-corner! Because if we introduce new things we have to forget
about a positiv Usability Report of Sun. These two things a excluding
each other.

Stefan Mattauch