Re: Evolution and Procmail- can they work together?

Am 13 Aug 2001 14:59:33 -0400 schrieb Jeffrey Stedfast:
> On 13 Aug 2001 21:22:35 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Yep, and often it fails to scan mboxes (even w/o procmail) :(
>
> Evolution reads the summaries and if the mboxes haven't been touched
> since Evolution last wrote the summary, then it doesn't bother
> rescanning the mbox (why should it? this is the whole point of using
> summaries).
Then let me rephrase it:

I am experiencing evolution to crash fairly frequently at times which
seem to be related to mbox access.

1. When fetching mails from my local MTA (w/ evolution/pop3) exactly the
same moment when the MTA (sendmail/fetchmail) fetches mail from my
provider. Dialogbox: Oops, .. has died - A semi-alive evolution shell
stays around.

2. I am also experiencing frequent "..mismatch even after a sync" errors
when evolution tries to sort incoming mails into personal mail folders.
Afterwards, such error dialogs pop up periodically and are waiting to be
clicked at.
In such occations, after having left the terminal for some hours and not
having closed evolution, literally hundreds such dialogs are present on
the screen.

IMHO, these both problems are a clear indication for some serious
defects in evolution's mbox handling.

BTW: I am also seeing evolution sometimes leaving stray evolution-mail
processes in the system after such incidents.

> > > The reason you can't just dump mail into Evolution's folders is because
> > > it keeps a summary of them and if you append to the mbox without
> > > updating the summary files, then they get out of sync.
> > I know, but I am not sure whether I like this design. It's yet another,
> > "compatible to nothing else" mail-archiving system.
>
> There isn't a standard and we support damn near every format. You have a
> better solution?
Unfortunately not, wrt. evolution I am just a user.

> > > Not to mention
> > > Evolution uses file locking, I'm not sure whether or not procmail does?
> > man procmailrc and man procmail and you will see: Dotfile locking.
> >
> > Sorry, if something above might sound harsh. Let me assure you it
> > definitely is ment as such.
Ouch, my deepest apologies:

This should have been: .. is _not_ meant a such ..

Ralf