Re: The future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?

On 13 Aug 2001 17:51:23 +0200, Erik Bågfors wrote:

> 2 + 4 / 3 is _never_ 2.  The calculator that gives that answer is
wrong
> and no calculator should behave like that IMNSHO.

I agree. But a desktop calculator doesn't handle full expressions such
as that. It handles fractions of it. Like 2 + 4 = 6. Now what do you
want to do with the 6. Well, divide it by 3. What do you want to do with
the 2? And so on.

Problem is that this funny way of calculating stuff is stuck in peoples
heads (at least your average user). That's what I think.

Hmm... this has made be rethink my design. I'll redesign the UI to show
the entire expression - that way people can relate to their maths
knowledge, and won't relate to the stupid calculators :-).

> Of course a _real_ calculator uses RPN :)

Yup :-).

Sincerely,
--
David Pettersson