Re: balsa, the most important mua? (was Re: The future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?

> > le Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:58:19 +0200
> > christophe barbé <christophe barbe lineo fr> à ecrit concernant Re: The
> > future of gnome-pim - and Balsa, too?:
> > >[...]
> > >Balsa start nearly in one second.
> > >[...]
> >
> > hello to all;
> >
> > in the discussion about evolution, balsa has been handled as the
> > alternative. that's not adequate:
> >
> > i'm very sorry, but i had to say that balsa is not really supported by
> > their developers: they do what they wan't (ok) without reacting on
> > messages (not very polite, but ok) and want their application in the
> same
> > moment to be the(!) gnome mail client (see open office) (silly). here
> are
> > some problems, made known for more than a half year and never
> korrekted.
> > here is the essence of the gnome-installtion-guide comment:
> >

> This looks like a troll.
> As a small (really small) balsa contributor and mainly as a balsa user
> I'm
> really astonnished by your opinion.
> First on the balsa mailing list, everybody is polite and developers take
> care of user with install/use problems.
>
> #grep -i -c 'from:.*peerceval' balsa
> 0
Personally, I started testing Balsa for real last week, and haven't
subscribed to the mailing list or anything yet (as I'm on far too many
lists already), but I have found and reported a number of bugs during the
past few days, and I think the response from the developers has been very
good. A partial fix for a problem I reported yesterday was in the archives
today, and for the other bugs, I have at least got comments from the
assigned owner, which gives me the impression that he really wants to solve
the problems. This is quite unlike many other products (including, I'm
afraid, Nautilius) where I have entered reports and not received any
feedback for _months_.

> Are you using an another mail address to discuss with the balsa mailing
> list ?
I hope that the Balsa developers will at least respond to requests on this
list (gnome-list). I may actually start subscribing to the balsa list, but
in general, I take interest in so many applications (it has something to to
with my job title, I believe; it's "Technical Infrastructure Manager") that
getting mailing list messages for all of them just isn't feasible. In other
words, I rely on getting a certain amount of help on more general lists and
newsgroups.

> I use balsa as my MUA. I use pspell without work-around (out of the box).
> My only difficulty here was to find a french dictionnary but this is a
> pspell issue.
What exactly would this work-around be? I'm assuming from the way you are
saying this that there is one or more known workarounds for pspell issues.
I'm asking because I can't get the spellchecker to work; I get
	Unable to load "aspell" module.
but can't find anything wrong with [p|a]spell setup.

> Balsa use the -Werror in its build system so each warning causes the
> build
> process to failed. This is a problem for some system but allow a better
> code. As you have done it you can turn off this with the configure option
> :
> --disable-more-warnings.
>
> > there are some problems which must be solved before you will be able to
> > successfully install balsa: Although balsa requires the pspell library,
> > its configure-script can't handle the latest versions of pspell but the
> > source code itself can (using the workaround offered by pspell itself).
> > And the configure script evokes too many gcc-warnings for having a
> > successful compilation. For solving the mentioned problems do this:
> >
> > a) install the latest pspell-library
> > b) edit the configure script and delete «exit 1» inside of the line
> where
> > can you find «libpspell not found»
Oh, right. There it is. Maybe it solves my problem, too.

I couldn't find anything about this on Bugzilla. Maybe I'll add yet another
report...