Re: change window manager

> Message: 2
> Subject: Re: change window manager
> From: Ben FrantzDale <bfrantzdale hmc edu>
> To: Robert Lee <rlee_1900 yahoo com>
> Cc: gnome-list gnome org
> Date: 08 Aug 2001 09:41:59 -0700
>
> On 07 Aug 2001 17:14:45 -0700, Robert Lee wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If my question does not fit this mailing list, I
> > apologize.
>
> This is the right place :-)
>
> > I tried to see the difference of window managers. Now,
> > I cannot change back to the original setup.
> >
> > I clicked the menu bar => programs => settings =>
> > desktop => window manager.  Sawfish was my original
> > default window manager.  I chose twm and didn't like
> > it.  I chose sawfish and got a warning message saying
> > it was not gnome compliant.
>
> Hmm... That shouldn't have happened. You might try doing that again. Are
> you sure that the error was refering to Sawfish and not to TWM?

I get that ALL THE TIME with SAWFISH 1.0 and gnome1.4 on fbsd 4.2... But not
with enlightenment...everything is perfect with E...
 Sawfish is broken with that combo.

I've posted numerous messages about this sort of thing to all kinds of
mailing lists, but noone seems to have similar problems.

Just in case you havn't seen those messages, here's what I get with sawfish
1.0:
The above mentioned non-compliant WM
The Gnome Panel and each GMC desktop icon showing up in the Gnome TaskList
??? WTF? This hogs 99% of CPU cycles... unusable.

Sawfish acts REALLY erratic... One login it will be fine (these are very
rare though) and the next login it will be screwed for no reason whatsoever.
I admit that I'm a newbie, but I'm not dumb though.. I've tried the obvious
fixes to no success. This must be some obscure bug in some package
somewhere. It HAS to, because no one seems to have a solution... :( I had
this problem when I first installed gnome and sawfish on a CLEAN fbsd
install, and I'm still having it...