I only get System / Locale chooser as root, WM (sawfish) Bums out when I Ctrl-Alt-Fx to change console

Hi,
I am a Gnome Newbie and have not found out how to set
the keyboard and language for non root accounts (when
logged in as root I get Locale chooser in the System
panel, I don't get the option with the other accounts)
My second problem is probably not a pure Gnome
problem: If I want to switch graphic console
(Ctrl-Alt-Fx) I find out that Gnome has bummed out
when I return and I have better do a Ctrl-c to fall
back on my feet, otherwise I end up in nether-nether
land...
I would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks in advance
Lionel
PS copy of my previous mail (now I subscribed...)